LSF Knowledge Exchange Activites
LSF has a strong track record of applying the results of its innovative research in Knowledge Exchange area, thus ensuring a high return on UK’s investment into science and strengthening UK’s international competitiveness.
Knowledge exchange activities take up multiple forms and include:
- Provision of expertise and beamtime at LSF facilities
- Generation of Intellectual Property through its scientific research (new patents, know-how)
- Licensing of IP
- Formation of new spin-out companies in close partnership with STFC Innovations Ltd
- Marketing niche equipment developed through its advanced research programmes
- Training of next generation of scientists (e.g. PhD and post-doctoral research associates)
- Participating in the development of Harwell Science and Innovation Campus and working in partnership with its residents
The LSF presently supports two STFC’s spinouts:
Cobalt (link opens in a new window): A new spinout launched in 2008 to commercialise novel laser
spectroscopy techniques developed at LSF’s ultrasfast laser facilities
through a programme of scientific research yielding 8 patent filings.
The new technology is applicable in a wide range of areas including
process control in pharmaceutical industry and security screening.
L3 Technology (link opens in a new window): A spinout of the former Synchrotron Radiation Department at Daresbury
Laboratory developing advanced spectroscopy instrumentation for
accurate tests of cholesterol levels in blood. It has recently secured
a second round investment of £1.75m, enabling the company to
commercialise its patented technology that will provide rapid point of
care cholesterol testing with laboratory accuracy.
© 2013 Science and Technology Facilities Council - All Rights Reserved.