Understanding chemical and biological reactions in solution phase. In particular, the structural and kinetic characterisation of reaction intermediates using ultrafast time-resolved spectroscopy (mainly Raman, infrared, 2D-IR). Also, investigating intracellular mechanisms using time resolved fluorescence/Raman imaging and developing Spatially Offset Raman Spectroscopy (jointly invented with Pavel Matousek) for the diagnosis of bone disease in collaboration with the UCL and Royal Orthopedic Hospital, Stanmore.
PhD. University of Warwick. “Excited State Studies of Pyrimidine bases and Radiosensitizing Drugs by Laser Flash Photolysis”.
Joined the CLF in 1987, Head of the LSF between 1995 and 2010, stepped down to focus more on research and my STFC Fellowship. To date authored over 270 publications. Five patents relating to Raman Spectroscopy and spatially offset Raman spectroscopy (SORS). Supervised 12 PhD students. Over 25 years-experience in applying spectroscopy, time-resolved spectroscopy and fluorescence imaging to study the structure-function relationship in chemical and complex biological systems. Expertise in energy/electron transfer, photodynamic therapy for treatment of cancer, Raman spectroscopy to diagnose bone disease and pioneering the use of time-resolved infrared spectroscopy to study ultrafast reaction intermediates of DNA in relation to photo-damage and repair. My management of the STFC & BBSRC funded project ULTRA (£2M) making internationally-leading technology accessible to the scientific community. As well as giving formal conference presentations, I enjoy giving public awareness lectures, particularly in India and South Africa.
Awards & Honours
- Associate Editor Journal of Raman Spectroscopy
- Editorial Board Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy
- Honorary Chair at University College London
- Honorary Chair at University of Salford
- Professor Extraordinary, University of Stellenbosch, South Africa
- Meggers award 2002 and 2007 in the field of Raman spectroscopy
- Conference Chair, European Conference on Spectroscopy of Biological Molecules (Oxford 2013)
- Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry
Raman,infrared, spectroscopy, DNA, bone disease, fluorescence imaging, energytransfer, electron transfer, SORS, photochemistry, kinetics, photodynamictherapy, cultural heritage.